December 06, 2021
With the impact of climate change now a reality, we are all looking at ways to not only do our bit, but to adjust our daily choices to help live a more sustainable life. Governments and large corporations absolutely have the biggest part to play, but every person can make an impact, simply by making small changes to their daily lives.
1. Donate or re-sell instead of throwing away. Give your clothes, furniture, kids' toys, a second life, rather than sending them to landfill. More and more people are buying second-hand through sites like eBay, Vestiaire and Vinted, while there are plenty of charities taking clothes and shoes for communities in need. Fashion is one of the planets’ biggest polluter, so extending the lifespan of a garment collectively could contribute greatly to reducing the footprint fashion leaves on the planet.
2. Buy better, buy less. Choosing what you consume more carefully by considering quality and lifespan means you won't have to buy the same item again and again. It also means consuming less, and ultimately discarding less.
3. Re-usable over single-use. The less demand there is for single-use plastics, the less will be produced. The U.K. has seen less trash on its beaches this year than in the last 20 years, and this is mainly down to the ban on certain single-use plastics. As a consumer, you have the power to choose not to buy single-use plastics, which will eventually force companies to stop selling it or using it in their packaging.
4. Take good care of what you have. For textiles, wash full loads, cold when you can, only when needed, and consider using a microplastics catcher. When something has a tear or a break, try and get it fixed rather than buying another.
5. Leave no trace when traveling. When visiting a beach, make sure you take everything with you when you leave. We love to plan a beach clean-up whenever we go; no matter how big or small, every little bit helps.
These tips may seem like a drop in an ocean. But together these little lifestyle changes, when made my millions of people, can create a movement. The situation is critical, but not hopeless!
Read more of our blog entries here on Travel Notes and shop our sustainable travel towels, which are compact, lightweight, sand-resistant (leaving the beach at the beach where it belongs), absorbent and quick-drying, in our e-shop.
June 10, 2021